| Most of the buzz I'm hearing is now that John Salazar, Democratic representative of Colorado's 3rd district and member of the House Agriculture Committee, will be named Secretary of Agriculture. Normally I would be quite opposed to Salazar for USDA (I still want to see Gus Schumacher get the job) but given some of the even worse picks major newspapers have speculated about (i.e. Charles Stenholm), maybe Salazar won't be so bad?
The Hispanic Caucus is for Salazar getting the job. His brother, Ken Salazar, Senator from Colorado, has also come out in favor of his appointment (big surprise!). But aside from his fantastic "diversity" credentials, what would he bring to the job?
1. For COOL, country of origin labeling
2. For the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (a pilot program to give free fresh fruits and veggies to school kids)
3. For corn based ethanol (that's bad)
4. A potato farmer and rancher
5. A "Bush Dog Dem" - a conservative Dem who votes with Bush far too frequently
6. Known for concern about water rights in Colorado.
And he has the full support of House Ag Committee Chair Collin Peterson and former ranking member of the House Ag Committee Charles Stenholm to get the job - that's not something I'd brag about.